Are you performing well on a sustained basis as a salesperson?
Congratulations! You are very special!
Here is why:
- Less than 20% of the general population has the unique set of non-teachable personality characteristics to succeed as a salesperson.
- You are probably very high in “need for achievement,” which means you drive yourself whether or not you are receiving good coaching or managing.
- You are competitive and love “the chase.”
- You are optimistic . . . nobody likes rejection but you do not dwell on it because you do not take it personally . . . it is part of the game.
- You literally cannot teach this “right stuff” . . . you either have it or you don’t. And if you have it you are a very rare and valuable bird indeed.
Peter Drucker, arguably the most esteemed business thinker of the 20th Century, talked about all phases of business, but boiled it down to this quote:
“A company only exists for one reason . . . to sell something.”